Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Eagle and Denali

Eagle is a small city located on the border of the United States and Canada.  In 2000, Eagle had a population of 129.  There is not much to do or see in a city this small; however, the town does hold a mock court for the tourists in an old court house.  For more information on Eagle, Alaska visit http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eagle,_Alaska.

You may be wondering why I am talking about an extremely small city that offers little tourist attractions.  Well, this city is where I fell in love with Huskies.  To get to Eagle, we took a boat out of Dawson City.  On the boat we got to talk to all of the crew member including the captain.  The captain's wife was on the boat and she told me and my dad about her Huskies.  She told us how she would race them and how she had over 20 dogs.  Then she showed us pictures of the Huskies.  She told us that she lived in Eagle and when we got off the boat our family was welcome to come over and play with the dogs; I was really excited.  When we were walking up to her house, we could hear the dogs barking.  They were all outside and each had their own little house.  My family and I got to pet the dogs and feed then dried salmon.  Each dog was different; some were white, or gray, or black; some had blue eyes and some had brown.  I was amazed that the captain's wife knew all the names of the dogs.  She told us that it is customary to have themes when naming the litters; one of the litters was named after different types of alcohol.  Visiting the Huskies started my obsession; since then, I have always wanted a Husky.  However, I live in Texas and I am allergic to dogs.  For information about Huskies, visit http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/siberianhusky.htm.  After an hour, it was time to leave Eagle and travel to Denali.

Denali is a national park located in Alaska.  Denali is home to Mount McKinley.  Mount McKinley is the highest point in the Untied States, and it is an amazing site to behold.  We were told that only 30 percent of tourists who visit Denali actually get to view to mountain because it is usually covered by clouds; my family is part of the lucky 30 percent.  Mount McKinley is the biggest mountain I have ever seen; it is 20,320 feet tall.  The top of the mountain is covered in pure white snow. For more information on Mount McKinley, visit http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_McKinley.  Information about Denali National Park can be found at http://www.nps.gov/dena/index.htm.

When we were at Denali National Park, we took part in many activities such as going to a sled dog kennel, taking an ATV trip, and wildlife viewing.  The kennel that we went to was called Husky Homestead.  Husky Homestead is home to the famous Iditarod Champion, Jeff King.  At the kennel we got to see Huskies training for races.  After seeing the training, each tourist got to hold and play with a Husky puppy.  Holding a puppy made me want a Husky even more.  Another activity we took part in was an ATV trip.  The trip took the same route that was described in the book Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer.  We could not take the whole route because part of it was flooded.  In Denali, my family took a bus ride to see wildlife while I stayed at the hotel because I was sick.  Another activity that my mom and brother did was fly around Mount McKinley.  They said the experience was wonderful and breathtaking.  I saw the amazing pictures.   


 The Huskies in Eagle



 Me and my dad with a Husky Puppy at Husky Homestead
 Mount McKinley
 Mount McKinley

No comments:

Post a Comment